Race Glock - My Glock race pistol, I have been told what was done to it, why and by whom. So I thought it would be a good article instead of answering a bunch of emails. It started as a Gen 3 G17 that was a great shooter out of the box. After using it as a stock setup for about a year I decided to turn it into a racing gun.

One step at a time is how I built this gun. I carried it as my main concealed handgun for almost the entire first year. So when I needed a new generation pistol, the Glock seemed like the right choice. Now, the first thing most people start with is a barrel. But the most important part to start with is truck control.

Race Glock

Race Glock

If you can't use the trigger without moving the gun, let alone moving it away from the target, then nothing else you buy will matter. So the first thing I got, and yes I bought my first, was a Johnny Glocks custom trigger. It was a drop in the truck system. You still call Johnny and talk to him about what you want and what can be done. See what you don't get with other trigger systems, you have a choice of maybe three "phases" of the model and you get a production line built trigger. You just talk to Johnny and Johnny is the only person who does your trigger.

Glock Competition Slide Racker

So when it arrived in the mail I had the frame ready for it and I did some fine tuning which took about 5 minutes. I installed it and it was great! The stock trigger was 6.8 pounds with a FLANGE travel (rise) and once you got the trigger it was very hard to get going and the break was never clear and never reset. Now I have a trigger with ZERO pre-travel that was on the wall and broke at 3.6 pounds every time! The reset was twice as short and twice as fast as the stock trigger.

Just using this trigger alone has improved the accuracy of Glocks and my shooting this gun. I was a man in 1911 most of my life. So the Glock was a big change. The only thing I changed was the front sight. I have a green fiber optic front sight. The human eye perceives green color faster and better than red color. So this combo has also made a difference again with better scores and faster times happening every week

Then I added the grip tape I cut where I wanted it on my frame. It got the rock solid non-slip grip I wanted and again improved times and results. Then I added polymer magville to help with the grip. Because the grip is at a different angle than the 1911, when I gripped it without thinking about my natural grip, it indicated that the 1911 would point straight. Adding the magwell forced my hand to correct it and solved the problem. I also cut the frame under the rear trigger and between the trigger so my hand would be up on the frame.

I went with this setup for maybe 6 months and then got a good deal on a C-More red dot. So I bought a dovetail mount for where the rear sight has been replaced. I never paid much attention to the previous places. This made a big difference; In fact, with this setup I started setting club records on steel plate matches. Here's the kicker, I still use the factory Glock barrel.

Racing With Optics On Handguns The Firearm Blog

Now I figured I might as well go ahead and finish it off as a race gun so I got a matching stainless barrel, also a Carver custom 4 port compensator and a few other things. Includes a metal mag wheel and a 3 oz brass plug from the Glock shop.

Last month at least I finished the gun for this build. Johnny was only an hour away from me on a custom Glocks vacation because I'm his only sponsored shooter, we talk all the time. I saw a video he posted of his newest trigger that blew me away! 2 pound break or less and for you Glock folks all three safeties are built into the Glock which still works with all of Johnny's triggers. Restart got tired of it so I called him he said well I'm an hour away from you right now in Ohio and he's in Florida he said I'll call your house!

So he showed up and was here from 10 a.m. to 6pm and we had a great day, a few people came by, we all went to lunch, Johnny put his new trigger in and dang...! I asked to get only a small part of the previous trip back on the first shot. Reset, believe me, you just have to try to find out! The trigger only moves forward maybe 3 to 5/64 parts and ready to fire I fire with the reset engaged.

Race Glock

So a few days after he left, the rest of the parts arrived from Carver Customs and are now complete! I removed the red dot from the slide so I don't have to chase it with the slide and I now have a finger rest as well. I will continue to use this Glock from now on, but Johnny is building me a new racing pistol Glock from scratch in Florida and shipping it to me when he is done. So next year I will compete with two different Golic race guns, one I will do 90% but the trigger and then a Johnny Blood 100%!

Custom Cerakoted Glock 34 With Machined Slide By Mike Lewis

Finished Glock 17 Gen 3 Race Gun - Johnny Custom Glocks Trigger - Matching Stainless Barrel - C-More Red Dot - Carver Customs Parts and Glock Store Mag Well and Brass Plug.

When you do that with any gun, the only limit is how much money you put in. The man is the Einstein of Glocks and. Can do anything for Glock, not just Target. His slide-to-frame mounting is second to none!

So I hope this answers your questions about what and why on this first Glock 17 the picture shows what it was and what it is now. And when we set it to watch at 100% rest, it was in the rest all the time, shot after shot in the same hole, over and over! Now that's a tech driver!

Started as a firearms instructor in 1986, sponsored pro shooter, teaches CC classes, advanced pistol and shotgun tactics, reloading classes, sponsor seminars, radio show and in-store promotions. But more importantly, I spend as much time as possible with my family, life is too short! How much difference in performance is there really between a modern practical carry pistol and a racing pistol? I decided to do some very unscientific testing and find out for myself what the difference was for me at my current skill level. Perhaps the first thing is to understand the definition of each.

Custom Built Glock Race Gun By Web User

In my opinion, a modern practical carry gun is one that is small enough to carry and large enough to shoot without any change in baseline performance. For me personally, this line starts at the Glock 48 or Sig P365XL and runs up to the Glock 17 / HK VP9 / Sig P320 size pistols. It can be different for everyone. When I get into guns like the Sig P365 or Glock 43, I start to notice a drop in performance, primarily due to the grip size. I have big hands and a sub-compact gun is less to hold. They certainly have their place and can certainly be effective, but for me personally this is where they become harder to shoot. My example of a carry gun for the purposes of this article is a Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS with a factory trigger, a Holoson 509T and a Streamlight TLR7A light inside a waist holster at 3 o'clock.

So what is a racing pistol? The term comes from the competition world and is used to describe a gun whose sole focus is on performance without hiding, sometimes weight, and in some cases it seems reliable. They are usually compensable, have a red dot optic, hold lots of bullets, and usually have triggers set at two pounds or less. They are often mounted on the hinged edge of the faithful, have large magazine hoppers to aid in reloading, and are generally impractical.

Glock race gun, glock pdf, glock race holster, glock holsters, glock sights, pellet glock, key glock, glock tattoo, nerf glock, glock holster, glock drawing, glock lock